Thursday, October 25, 2007

Budget and IT guys

It was the time for the state budget. But no one was bothered. Especially, the IT sector which dictates the government hardly knews of it. I remember asking people last year about their opinion on the state budget. While some IT guys asked, “What is it?” some others blatantly said, “I am not bothered. It doesn’t affect me.” These same IT people can go on complaining about the state and its conditions endlessly. After tax was levied on ESOPS in the union budget, the highly paid professionals had no qualms in condemning the government. Lines like, “Damn the government and damn the budget,” were posted on the internet. The pro-farming budget did not interest them. But the pathetic conditions of rural India and heart-rending stories of farmers committing suicide are the favourite topics of discussion. I have met people who say, “I am tired of the boring job. I want to do something meaningful. I want to go into a village and work for the children there.” When they take a break, what most actually do is join management institutes, so that they can boost their CVs.

No comments: